Oh, CBB. CBB, or Chicken Broccoli Bake, is a beloved dish served in the dining halls at Michigan. I would seriously look at the menus for each dorm and slightly alter my plans on where to eat if a particular dorm was serving CBB that night.
Luckily, Chicken Broccoli Bake is one of the recipes listed on the Housing website for Michigan! When I saw this in recipe form, I knew I had to make it.
Looking at the ingredients and then actually buying the ingredients and checking the calories… oh man. Let’s just say I won’t be making this or anything with whipping cream regularly. But that’s why it’s so good, right?!
– 1 head broccoli, separated into small florets
– 12 ounces chicken breasts
– 2 tablespoons butter
– 2 tablespoons onion, diced
– 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
– ¾ cup chicken stock
– ½ cup sour cream
– ¾ cup whipping cream
– ½ teaspoon salt
– ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
– 1½ tablespoons Parmesan cheese
– 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs
1. Steam broccoli in microwave with 3 tablespoons water, placing a plate on top of the bowl of broccoli.
2. Sauté the diced chicken in a saucepan or skillet over medium-high heat. Set aside.
3. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and sauté onions until translucent. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly for 1-2 minutes.
4. Add chicken stock to saucepan. Stir constantly until thick.
5. In a separate bowl, combine the sour cream and whipping cream. Add the cream mixture to the hot liquid mixture and blend thoroughly. Add ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Gently simmer mixture for 5 minutes.
6. Gently fold in the cooked broccoli and chicken meat.
7. Place mixture in a casserole dish. Top with the breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese.
8. Bake at 325 degrees until top is lightly browned and mixture is bubbly, about 30 minutes. Do not overbake, or mixture will separate. Serve over white rice.