Even though we don’t even have a tree or decorations up, Christmas is an excellent excuse to make gingersnaps! This recipe was forwarded on to me a few years ago by my bro-in-law, and my roommate and I gobbled up about 60 of these in less than a week during finals time.
– 2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 1 tsp cinnamon
– 1/2 tsp ground cloves
– 1 tsp ground ginger
– 1 tbsp baking soda
– 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) room temperature butter
– 1 cup granulated sugar, plus more for rolling
– 1 egg
– 1/4 cup molasses
1. Add together the flour, salt, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and baking soda.
2. In a separate bowl, cream the butter until light and fluffy, gradually adding the 1 cup of sugar.
3. Blend in the egg and molasses to the butter.
4. Add the flour mixture and combine thoroughly.
5. Shape the dough into 1-inch balls and roll in granulated sugar. Flatten the balls down and place onto an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for about 6 minutes at 350°.